The city of Escondido dates from the 1880's, when a rancho was subdivided for small farms, citrus groves, vineyards, and a town. The name means "hidden" in Spanish, and refers to the then-secluded location of the new development. Apparently the promoters considered it poor public relations to retain the name of the former rancho. That name, for some unexplained reason, was El Rincon del Diablo ("Nook of the Devil"). The population of the city is approximately 134,000.
Related categories 2